BOCA RATON, Fla. – Junior middle blockers Lydia West and Claire Angelich posted personal-best kill totals on Friday night, but it wasn't enough as the Lynn University volleyball team fell to Saint Leo University, 3-2.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Saint Leo 3, Lynn 2 (22-25, 27-25, 25-13, 18-25, 15-13)
Records: Saint Leo (18-9, 9-5 SSC), Lynn (14-13, 4-10 SSC)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series: Lynn trails 12-24 (Last meeting Oct. 10, 2015)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- Set 1 | Lynn had its best hitting clip of the night (.375) as West, Angelich and Nicol Colonna combined for 13 kills in the opener. The Fighting Knights garnered the lead at 6-5 and never gave it back to go up 1-0.
- Set 2 | The second set was back-and-forth with 11 tie scores. Following a 25-25 knot up, the Lions closed out the frame to tie the match at 1-1. Morgan Dulaney entered the game and fired off six kills on 10 attacks.
- Set 3 | Saint Leo utilized 14 kills (.364) and limited Lynn's offense for the first time in the match for a controlling 25-13 victory.
- Set 4 | West and Angelich continued to pour it on with four kills each. Lynn opened up a six-point advantage (18-12) and held on to send the match to a deciding fifth set.
- Set 5 | Both sides traded kills early on as neither team could pull away. Facing match point, Marissa Tandron set up Angelich to stay alive, but Saint Leo's Jillian Stolzenburg sealed the deal on the next play.
- West and Angelich were dominant on the offensive front, setting career-highs in kills with impressive efficiency. West recorded 20 while hitting .500 and Angelich notched 18 at a .464 clip.
- Tandron facilitated 53 assists and led the defense with 18 digs.
- Cleuza Porto contributed seven kills and 12 digs while Dulaney finished with nine kills.
- Defenders Katie Knight (13) and Jayden Davila-McClary (12) rounded out the Fighting Knights with double-digit digs.
- West has put away 15+ kills in each of Lynn's last three outings, her three highest outputs ever in the Blue & White.
- Lynn is 1-4 in five-set matches this season.
- Tandron tallied 53+ assists for the third consecutive match.
Lynn hosts Eckerd College tomorrow, Saturday, Nov. 13 at 4 p.m. for the Fighting Knights final home game of the season. Fans can watch the match live at LynnFightingKnights.com and receive in-game updates by following @Lynn_Knights on Twitter and Instagram.