Tampa, Fla. – The Lynn University volleyball team had its potential season sweep over powerhouse University of Tampa turned away on Thursday night as the sixth-ranked Spartans swept the Fighting Knights in the squad's last contest of the season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: #6 Tampa 3, Lynn 0 (25-13, 25-16, 25-21)
Records: #6 Tampa (25-5, 14-1 SSC), Lynn (14-15, 4-12 SSC)
Location: Martinez Center | Tampa, Fla.
Series: Tampa leads 38-1 (last meeting Oct. 24, 2015 – Lynn's first win over Tampa in program history)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- Set 1 | Cleuza Porto had the Fighting Knights off to a nice start, putting away three early kills as Lynn took a timeout down 8-5. Following the break, the Tampa front line found its form, recording blocks on three consecutive plays to push its edge to 13-7. Lynn was limited to five kills in the frame, with only one coming after the 8-6 tally.
- Set 2 | Back-to-back kills from Porto and Marissa Tandron awarded the Fighting Knights an 11-10 lead, but Tampa's Berkley Whaley fired off five kills to fuel a 6-1 run to single-handedly regain the momentum for the Spartans. Tandron was the team's leading attacker in the stanza, recording three kills on three attacks.
- Set 3 | At 12-12, Shanotta Bawek strung together a pair of service aces to put the Blue & White out in front. Tampa responded with a 7-2 tear, but two kills from Morgan Dulaney forced the home team into a timeout with a one-point lead (22-21). The Spartans then threw down three straight kills to close out the match in three sets.
- Porto finished with a team-high eight kills and collected six digs.
- Lydia West was next with five kills and tied the match-high in blocks with four.
- Tandron led the squad's backline defense with nine digs while facilitating 22 assists on offense.
- Katie Knight and Jayden Davila-McClary recorded seven digs apiece.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn's 27 kills was its second-lowest output this season.
- With one conference match still to play this weekend, Tampa's only SSC loss since 2011 came at the hands of the Fighting Knights earlier this season.
- With 1,030 assists this season, Tandron has accumulated 3,124 so far in her three-year career at Lynn, ranking second in school history. Devon Woolard '10 holds the program record with 4,564. The Jacksonville native is also up to 89 career service aces, good for sixth all-time.
- With the switch to libero this season, Knight had a career-year on the backline defense. Knight stands with 955 career digs to rank seventh all-time, and is one ace shy of Tandron.
- Claire Angelich continued to climb up the blocking leaderboards this season. After three years in the Blue & White, Angelich ranks third all-time in solo blocks (53) and total blocks (253), and fourth in block assists (200). She needs four more solo blocks to claim the program record.
- After only two seasons of competition, West moved into the top 10 in all three blocking categories.
Lynn closes out the 2015 campaign with a 14-15 overall record and a 4-12 mark in SSC play. Fans can keep up with all things Blue & White on LynnFightingKnights.com and stay up to date by following @Lynn_Knights on Twitter and Instagram.