Melbourne, Fla. – The Lynn University volleyball team notched its third straight Sunshine State Conference victory on Saturday with a 3-0 sweep on the road at Florida Tech. Four different players recorded nine or more kills and four defenders picked up double-digit digs.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 3, Florida Tech 0 (25-17, 25-17, 25-21)
Records: Lynn (15-8, 6-4 SSC), Florida Tech (6-15, 0-9 SSC)
Location: Clemente Center | Melbourne, Fla.
All-time Series: Florida Tech leads 22-18
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- Set 1 | The Fighting Knights rushed out to a comfortable 11-5 advantage, forcing the home side into the first timeout of the day. Lynn would lead by as many as 10 late (22-12) before closing out. Nicol Colonna paced the offense with six kills in the opener.
- Set 2 | Lynn went up two sets to none with an identical 25-17 victory, but battled back and forth with the Panthers throughout the majority of the frame until securing the win on a 4-0 run. Defense was the key in the second as the team recorded seven blocks while Cristina Llorens and Colonna combined for 11 digs.
- Set 3 | Florida Tech was in the lead at 17-16 but a trio of consecutive kills from Lydia West helped push Lynn back out in front. Following a 19-19 tie, the Fighting Knights secured the three-set sweep on a 6-2 run. Marissa Tandron distributed 16 assists as the offense hit .457 in the frame and Katie Knight scooped up eight digs.
- Four attackers carried the bulk of the offense with efficient hitting percentages. Cleuza Porto led the way with a match-high 11 kills (.346) while West (.533), Colonna (.500) and Llorens (.167) all finished with nine.
- Knight led the back row with 14 digs and was dangerous at the line with a match-high four aces. Porto, Colonna, and Llorens joined Knight in double figures defensively with Porto completing the double-double.
- Tandron, West and Claire Angelich all notched four blocks with Colonna chipping in on three. Tandron tacked on 39 assists and a trio of kills.
- With the only solo block in the match, West picks up career solo block No. 57, passing Michele Newman for second all-time. Angelich holds the school record with 62.
- With the win, the Blue and White pick up the season sweep over Florida Tech, winning both contests by a 3-0 tally. The offense hit over .330 in both matches against the Panthers this season.
- Lynn had lost four straight in Melbourne coming into today, with its last victory at Florida Tech in 2011.
- The Fighting Knights are on a three-match winning streak in league action.
- Florida Tech is still searching for its first conference win of the season.
- Today was Florida Tech's annual Dig Pink game in support of breast cancer research.
Lynn remains on the road to kick of next week's action, heading down to Barry University on Tuesday, Nov. 1 for a 7 p.m. matchup.