Miami Shores, Fla. – Lynn University's volleyball team had been rolling as of late with three straight conference wins but had its streak come to a halt Tuesday night as the Fighting Knights dropped a 3-0 Sunshine State Conference contest at Barry University.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Barry 3, Lynn 0
Records: Barry (13-9, 5-4 SSC), Lynn (15-9, 6-5 SSC)
Location: HSC | Miami Shores, Fla.
All-time Series: Barry leads 30-11
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- Set 1 | The home squad grabbed the first decent edge at 15-11, but it didn't last long as the Fighting Knights knotted it up at 16. Cleuza Porto made it a one-point game (22-21) off a solo effort following a lengthy meeting of the officials. Barry secured the opener behind the next trio of kills. Nicol Colonna converted 6-of-7 swings with no errors to lead the offense.
- Set 2 | Lydia West heated up in the second, but the Bucs took control early behind a 6-0 run and never looked back. Three straight aces sent Lynn into the locker room down two sets to none. West added five kills on seven attempts.
- Set 3 | The Blue and White pushed their opponents into extras in a fight to remain alive late in the third. Lynn held a 26-25 edge, but two straight errors granted Barry back the lead as the Bucs closed out the sweep.
- West and Porto finished in double figures for the Fighting Knights, led by West's 14 kills with a .385 attack percentage. Porto added five digs to her 10-kill effort.
- Colonna tallied nine kills as Marissa Tandron guided the offense with 36 assists.
- Cristina Llorens had a team-high nine digs. Lynn's 32 total digs as a unit was the third lowest output of the season.
- Despite the loss, the offense still hit well as a team. Lynn's .243 attack percentage is its second highest in a loss this season.
- The Blue and White defense didn't record a player with double-digit digs for just the second time on the year.
- Barry hit .409 for the match, its best performance to date this season.
- The Lynn front row defense was limited to a season-low-tying one block.
After a three-match road stretch, the Fighting Knights return home for a pair of SSC contests this weekend, starting with a 7 p.m. matchup against Florida Southern on Friday, Nov. 4.