Winter Park, Fla. – Lynn University's volleyball team notched a 3-1 victory over Rollins College on Friday night in the squad's final Sunshine State Conference match of the year. The Fighting Knights conclude the regular-season conference slate with an 11-5 record, tying the program's all-time mark for most SSC wins in a season. Additionally, Marissa Tandron broke the program's 15-year-old single-season assist record, recording No. 1,263 and counting.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 3, Rollins 1 (25-23, 25-21, 20-25, 25-11)
Records: Lynn (20-9, 11-5 SSC), Rollins (11-19, 3-12 SSC)
Location: Warden Arena | Winter Park, Fla.
All-time Series: Rollins leads 23-17
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- Set 1 | The outsides were featured early as Cleuza Porto and Cristina Llorens started off with five kills each in the opener. The duo helped fuel a 6-0 run that gave Lynn the first advantage of the match at 11-6. Rollins called the first timeout of the night with a 19-12 deficit and fought back to make it a one-point game (21-20) before Lynn closed out the win.
- Set 2 | Set two was back and forth with the sides playing to a 14-14 draw. A 6-1 tear from Lynn following the tie helped build enough of a cushion for the Fighting Knights to grab a 2-0 lead in the match. Tandron distributed the wealth with 15 assists while the defense stepped up with eight digs from Katie Knight and a trio of blocks from Claire Angelich.
- Set 3 | Lynn started off slow, giving up the first four points, but bounced back on a 5-0 run to take the lead. The Rollins offense would take over from there however as the Tars hit .517 collectively with just one error on the way to its only victory of the night.
- Set 4 | The Fighting Knights responded valiantly, rushing out to an 11-3 edge before shutting the door on a potential Rollins comeback. The Blue and White offense hit .478 led by Llorens and four blocks from the front row resulted in a negative hitting clip for the Tars.
- Porto returned to form after a bit of a down stretch, bouncing 19 kills at a .368 attack percentage along with eight digs, two aces and a block assist.
- Llorens recorded her second straight double-double featuring 15+ kills, as the senior finished with 16 kills (career-high), 13 digs and a block.
- Coming out of the middle, Lydia West notched double figures with 12 kills while Angelich led the squad with six blocks.
- Knight tallied a game-high 20 digs. Tandron contributed in all aspects of the game with 47 assists, five kills, seven digs and a pair of aces.
- The Fighting Knights close out the 2016 conference slate with an 11-5 record, tying the mark for the most SSC wins in a season (2010) in the program's history. They also secured their sixth 20-win season.
- Tandron passes Zoraida Mata with the most assists in a season in program history. Mata's mark of 1,262 held since 2001.
- 2010 is also the last year that Lynn beat Rollins on the road and also the last time it swept the Tars in the season series.
- The Fighting Knights didn't use a single substitution throughout the entire match.
- The Blue and White closed out the conference schedule this year with five consecutive victories.
Lynn wraps up the regular season tomorrow, Saturday, Nov. 19, with a nonconference tilt at Embry-Riddle beginning at 2 p.m.