Daytona Beach, Fla. – Lynn University's volleyball team has sure had its endurance tested so far at the onset of the 2017 campaign, going the distance yet again in both of the team's matches on Saturday to close out Embry-Riddle's Bahama House Classic. The Fighting Knights first fell to Barton College, 3-2, before taking down Oklahoma Baptist in the nightcap, 3-2.
INSIDE THE MATCHUPS:
Final – Match 1: Barton 3, Lynn 2 (23-25, 25-19, 25-23, 25-27, 15-7)
Final – Match 2: Lynn 3, Oklahoma Baptist 2 (19-25, 25-23, 25-22, 18-25, 17-15)
Records: Lynn (2-1), Barton (1-3), Oklahoma Baptist (2-2)
Event: Embry Riddle's Bahama House Classic
Location: ICI Center | Daytona Beach, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads Barton, 2-1; Lynn leads Oklahoma Baptist, 1-0
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE MATCH:
- Newcomer and outside hitter Sonja Udovcic carried the weight on the offensive front, knocking down a team-high 16 kills at an effective .316 hitting clip. She added 13 digs for the double-double.
- Nicol Colonna was fed the rock 51 times, converting 14 for kills, while completing the double-double with 12 digs and two blocks.
- Setter Angala Jensen distributed 43 assists, but made a big impact defensively, tallying 19 digs and a team-high six blocks.
- Andrea McDonald logged a team-high 21 digs while Marcella De Vuono recorded seven kills and five blocks.
- Colonna had a strong offensive effort in the nightcap, posting a match-high 19 kills while recording a .400 attack percentage with just three errors on 40 swings. She added 11 digs for yet another double-double.
- Udovcic hit double figures with 14 kills (.209) and 13 digs.
- Jaja Perkins secured her first collegiate career double-double with 11 kills and 17 digs while assisting on three blocks.
- Middle blockers De Vuono and Lauren Odom combined for 11 blocks and 15 kills. McDonald led the backline with 24 digs.
- Jensen put her hitters in the right spots to succeed, accumulating 58 assists while Lynn hit a season-high .234 as a team.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- All three of Lynn's matches so far in 2017 have gone five sets.
- Colonna and Udovcic have each recorded double-doubles in all three matches so far this season.
- Redshirt-sophomore Meghan Ulmer's six kills against Barton is a career-high.
- Freshman Danessa Martin recorded the first three service aces of her career, including two of the team's three total in the Barton match.
Lynn will have the week off until heading south for the Barry University Classic next weekend, where the Fighting Knights will compete in four nonconference matches.