Lakeland, Fla. – After the team's opening weekend tournament early in September, the Lynn University volleyball team has had a 20-day hiatus from competition. The Fighting Knights finally returned to action on Friday night at Florida Southern, falling in the first Sunshine State Conference matchup of the year, 3-0.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Florida Southern 3, Lynn 0 (25-15, 25-17, 25-8)
Records: Florida Southern (5-5, 2-0 SSC), Lynn (2-2, 0-1 SSC)
Location: Jenkins Field House | Lakeland, Fla.
All-Time Series: FSC leads 31-10
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE MATCH:
- Junior-transfer Rafaela Fonseca, making her Lynn debut, led the way for Lynn around the rotation with nine kills, six digs and an ace on a .233 hitting clip.
- Nicol Colonna and Marcella De Vuono put away five kills apiece, while De Vuono notched Lynn's only block on the night with a solo stuff.
- After starting off the match with seven digs in the first set, freshman libero Andrea McDonald finished with a team-high 11 for the night.
- The Fighting Knights averaged a service ace per set, the best mark of the season.
- FSC's middle Allie Geary had a strong showing, bouncing 13 kills on 16 swings with one error (.750) and led her squad with three blocks.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Last year, Lynn swept FSC in both matchups, including a win in Lakeland when the Mocs were ranked No. 21 nationally.
- Coming into the match, FSC had nine matches under their belts in 2017 compared to just three for Lynn.
- The Fighting Knights opened up the season the weekend of Sept. 2-3, but have had the past five matches cancelled or postponed due to Hurricane Irma.
- Lynn's first three matches of the season all went five sets.
Lynn returns to the court tomorrow, Saturday, Sept. 23 with a 4 p.m. road matchup at the University of Tampa.