BOCA RATON, Fla. – Facing a 2-0 deficit for the second time this week, the Lynn University volleyball squad rallied yet again coming out of the break to force a fifth set. The Fighting Knights weren't as fortunate Thursday night however as Florida Tech finished strong to earn the five-set Sunshine State Conference victory. The Blue and White back line defense was stellar, totaling 103 digs, marking just the third time with over 100 in a match since 2010.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Florida Tech 3, Lynn 2 (25-22, 25-20, 12-25, 14-25, 15-10)
Records: Florida Tech (4-5, 2-4 SSC), Lynn (3-4, 1-3 SSC)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Florida Tech leads 23-18
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE MATCH:
- Outside hitters Rafaela Fonseca and Sonja Udovcic were the focal point on both sides of the ball for Lynn. Fonseca boasted match-highs in kills (18) and digs (27) with Udovcic not far behind at 16 kills and 25 digs while hitting .233.
- Libero Andrea McDonald did the remainder of the team's heavy lifting on defense, notching her fifth 20+ dig match of the season with 24.
- Jaja Perkins earned her second career start and logged her second double-digit kill performance with 10. She also picked up 16 digs and two blocks.
- Elna Argen put away eight kills at an efficient .375 clip coming out of the middle. Her counterpart Marcella De Vuono posted a team-high five blocks.
- Setter Angala Jensen distributed 51 assists, her second match this season with over 50, and filled out the stat sheet with two kills, six digs, four blocks and an ace.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn had won nine straight home matches against Florida Tech coming into tonight. The last time the Panthers won in Boca Raton was back in the 2007 season.
- Lynn's 103 digs ties for the 15th most in a single match in program history. It is the most since a 106-dig effort in 2013 vs. Shorter.
- The Panthers scored six of their 15 points in the fifth set via block. Olivia Hersey was in on five of them.
- Freshman Danessa Martin recorded her second multi-ace match on the year.
- Five of Lynn's seven contests so far this season have gone to five sets.
The Blue and White have their third of three home matches tomorrow, Friday, Sept. 29, when the Embry-Riddle Eagles come to town at 7 p.m.