St. Petersburg, Fla. – Lynn University's volleyball team broke away from a 14-14 tie in the opening frame to secure an early lead Thursday night at Eckerd College. The host Tritons responded however with three-straight set wins to earn a 3-1 Sunshine State Conference victory over the Fighting Knights.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Eckerd 3, Lynn 1 (19-25, 25-15, 25-22, 25-19)
Records: Eckerd (7-4, 3-4 SSC), Lynn (4-5, 2-4 SSC)
Location: McArthur Center | St. Petersburg, Fla.
All-Time Series: Eckerd leads 23-18
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE MATCH:
- Sonja Udovcic logged her fourth consecutive double-double behind a solid third set where the outside hitter put away five kills on nine swings with no errors while picking up six digs. She finished her night 18 digs and a team-high 12 kills.
- Andrea McDonald led the back line with 20 digs, including nine in the second set, and was the only Fighting Knight with multiple service aces.
- Nicol Colonna filled out the stat sheet with nine kills, 12 digs, one ace and a team-best four blocks.
- Jaja Perkins entered the lineup in the third frame, finishing with nine kills and five digs while hitting .217.
- Elna Argen hit .308 with four kills and no errors on 13 attempts.
- Angala Jensen tallied 39 assists and completed her fourth double-double on the year with 11 digs.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn faced a 21-9 deficit in the fourth set but responded with an 8-1 run to stay alive in the stanza before an eventual 25-19 defeat.
- The win is just the second for Eckerd over Lynn in St. Petersburg since 2013.
- McDonald has logged at least 20 digs in six of nine matches so far this season.
- Colonna's four blocks ties her season high.
Lynn faces its first nationally-ranked opponent of the season tomorrow, Friday, Oct. 6 when the Fighting Knights travel to No. 19 Saint Leo for a 7 p.m. conference tilt.