Hoover, Ala. – Lynn University's volleyball team opened the annual South Region Crossover on Friday with a pair of matches against Gulf South Conference adversaries. The Fighting Knights fell in their opening match to Christian Brothers University, 3-1, before taking a sweep from Lee University in the nightcap.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Finals: CBU 3, Lynn 1 (25-22, 25-19, 23-25, 25-13); Lee 3, Lynn 0 (25-23, 14-25, 25-23)
Records: Lynn (4-9), Lee (13-4), CBU (11-12)
Location: Finley Center | Hoover, Ala.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads CBU 3-2; Lee leads Lynn 1-0
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE MATCH:
- Jaja Perkins got off to a hot start offensively, bouncing seven kills on 11 swings with no errors through the first two sets. She finished with a double-double, recording a team-high 12 kills, 11 digs, and three blocks with a .250 attack percentage.
- Outsides Sonja Udovcic and Rafaela Fonseca each tallied 10 kills while leading the back row with 22 and 19 digs, respectively. Udovcic also assisted on five blocks and Fonseca logged the team's only two aces in the match.
- Middle blockers Marcella De Vuono and Lauren Odom combined for 12 kills and 13 blocks. De Vuono posted Lynn's only solo block in the match.
- Fonseca and Udovcic led the back row again with 13 digs apiece. Fonseca logged a match-high 15 kills while Udovcic put away 11 at an effective .308 clip.
- Perkins posted seven and seven while recording three of Lynn's four aces.
- Setter Alessia Di Rosa averaged over 10 assists per frame with 31 and tacked on eight digs.
- De Vuono knocked down four kills on 10 attempts with no errors for a .400 hitting percentage.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Udovcic has logged a double-double in eight straight matches. Her 22 digs against CBU was her second-highest tally this season.
- Perkins' 12 kills against CBU is a career-high for the freshman.
- It was the first-ever matchup with Lee.
- Lynn lost a match at the South Region Crossover for the first time since 2013.
Lynn closes out the crossover tomorrow, Saturday, Oct. 14 with a 2:30 contest against Alabama Huntsville.