BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's volleyball team took two of the first three highly-contested sets on Saturday against Florida Southern College but the Mocs were able to battle back and steal the Sunshine State Conference victory from the Fighting Knights, 3-2.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: FSC 3, Lynn 2 (28-30, 25-23, 22-25, 25-14, 15-12)
Records: FSC (17-6, 11-1 SSC) Lynn (6-13, 4-9 SSC)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: FSC leads 31-10
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE MATCH:
- Outsides Sonja Udovcic and Rafaela Fonseca provided double-doubles for the Fighting Knights yet again. Udovcic knocked down 17 kills while setting career-highs in digs (28) and assists (4). Fonseca led the Blue and White offense with 23 kills while posting 21 digs and two blocks (one solo) on defense.
- Nicol Colonna continues to impress as the team's setter, logging 48 assists, 18 digs and two blocks.
- Marcella De Vuono's six blocks were a team-high on the front line. Lauren Odom put away eight kills at a .263 hitting clip and added three blocks (one solo).
- Jaja Perkins (14) and Ariana Rodriguez (11) each hit double figures in the digs column.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Rodriguez's 11 digs is a career-high for the sophomore. She also donned the libero jersey for the first time in her career.
- The Mocs have now won 10 straight and haven't lost in the month of October.
- FSC picks up the season sweep over Lynn after the Fighting Knights took both matchups in 2016.
- Lynn's 59 kills is the third-highest total in a match this season while the 97 digs are second-most.
- The Fighting Knights have posted double-digit blocks in four of the past five matches.
- The Mocs were receiving votes in this week's AVCA Top-25 national poll.
The Fighting Knights hit the road for three matches next week, starting with a 7 p.m. match at Nova Southeastern on Tuesday, Oct. 31.