BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's volleyball squad continued its trend of performing at a high level against tough opponents in its home gym this season, and such was the case Thursday night as the Fighting Knights won the opening frame and went toe-to-toe with 23rd-ranked Saint Leo University. The Lions finished strong in the final two sets however, securing a 3-2 Sunshine State Conference win.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Saint Leo 3, Lynn 2 (21-25, 25-18, 20-25, 25-21, 15-10)
Records: #23 SLU (20-5, 14-3 SSC), Lynn (8-15, 6-11 SSC)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Saint Leo leads 26-14
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE MATCH:
- Setter Nicol Colonna orchestrated a strong offensive attack, recording a career-high-tying 59 assists. She tacked on 14 digs and four blocks for a double-double.
- Sonja Udovcic attacked efficiently at a high volume, logging a team-high 23 kills on a .353 hitting clip. She was second on the squad in both digs (19) and blocks (5).
- Marcella De Vuono continued her resourceful usage attacking from the middle with another high hitting percentage (.310) behind 14 kills. She led all players on the floor with seven blocks.
- Rafaela Fonseca extends her double-double streak to six matches thanks to 17 kills and a team-best 21 digs to go along with two service aces.
- Jaja Perkins (18 digs) and Ariana Rodriguez (14) were both active on the back row.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Colonna's 59 assists put her in a tie for 19th place in program history for assists in a five-set match.
- Lynn set a new season-high with 66 kills and matched its season-high from last time out with 64 assists.
- The Lions sweep the 2017 season series with a 3-1 win in their gym earlier this season.
Lynn closes out the week at home with a 4 p.m. match vs. Eckerd College on Saturday, Nov. 11.