BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's volleyball team put a stamp on the 2017 season with a big revenge win on Friday night, downing the Rollins College Tars at home in a tight five-set battle. The Fighting Knights celebrated Senior Night before the match, honoring Nicol Colonna, Meghan Ulmer and Trisha Mockapetris.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 3, Rollins 2 (25-18, 18-25, 26-24, 20-25, 15-11)
Records: Lynn (9-17, 7-13 SSC), Rollins (9-18, 6-14 SSC)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Rollins leads 24-18
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE MATCH:
- Fittingly, Colonna – the only four-year senior on the squad – contributed in a major way to the victory. She neared a triple-double, posting a line of 31 assists, 11 kills (.212), eight digs and four blocks in her final outing as a Fighting Knight.
- Outside hitters Sonja Udovcic and Rafaela Fonseca joined in on the double-double action. Udovcic recorded 18 kills at a .300 hitting clip to go along with 18 digs while Fonseca logged 17 kills, 16 digs and two blocks.
- Ariana Rodriguez matched Rollins' libero with a match-high 22 digs. It is her second career outing with 20 or more digs and the second time in the past five matches.
- Lynn had a nice night at the net defensively, led by six blocks from Lauren Odom (three solo) and five from Marcella De Vuono.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn and Rollins split the 2017 season series, with the home team winning each match in five sets.
- Colonna wraps up her Blue and White career ranked inside the program's top-20 all-time in matches played, sets played, total digs, total assists, assists per set, serve percentage, serve-receive percentage, total blocks and block assists.
- Udovcic logged 21 double-doubles in 26 matches during her first season at Lynn and is the only player to see the court in all 109 sets the team played this year.
- Odom's three solo blocks is a career-high for the freshman. There have only been 19 performances in program history where a player recorded more than three solo blocks in a match.
- Barry University still has one match to play, but if the Bucs lose to first-place Florida Southern on Saturday, the Fighting Knights will finish the year seventh in the SSC. Lynn was picked to finish seventh in the preseason coaches' poll.
The Fighting Knights are expecting to return 12 letter winners for the 2018 season.