Daytona Beach, Fla. – Lynn University's volleyball team opened up the 2018 season with a pair of matches at the ICI Center at Embry-Riddle's Tournament on Friday. The Fighting Knights first took down Valdosta St. in the opener, 3-1, before falling to a tough Wayne St. (Neb.) squad in the nightcap, 3-0. Sonja Udovcic led the way on both sides of the ball in each match, including a solid double-double in the opening victory.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 3, VSU 1 (23-25, 25-9, 25-22, 25-11) | Wayne St. 3, Lynn 0 (25-17, 25-13, 25-21)
Records: Lynn (1-1), VSU (1-1), Wayne St. (2-0)
Location: ICI Center | Daytona Beach, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads VSU 6-3 | First-ever meeting with Wayne St.
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE MATCH:
- The Fighting Knights narrowly dropped the first set (25-23) before responding strongly in the second (25-9) and taking the match in four.
- Udovcic picked up right where she left off last season with a dominant performance against the Blazers. The junior outside tallied 21 kills at a .400 attack clip with 10 digs and two block assists.
- Fellow returner and outside hitter Rafaela Fonseca also logged a double-double, posting 14 kills at a .270 hitting mark with 10 digs and two block assists.
- Sophomore-transfer Marine Kinna made a splash in her debut as a full-rotation pin hitter, tallying 13 kills (.258), 12 digs and a block.
- The offense flourished under freshman setter Isadora Nicolai, who registered 57 assists and seven digs in her collegiate debut. She also dumped for four kills on six attempts.
- Anja Vavan made her collegiate debut donning the libero jersey, recording a match-high 18 digs.
- Sophomore middle blocker Lauren Odom continues to hold down the front line, putting away seven kills on 12 swings (.417) while leading the defense on four blocks.
- Udovcic was the only player to hit double-digit digs in the nightcap with 11 while knocking down a team-best-tying eight kills. Fonseca matched her counterpart on the outside with eight kills along with six digs. The pair each tallied their first service aces of the season.
- Odom had an efficient performance attacking out of the middle, logging six kills on eight swings with no errors (.750).
- Nicolai followed up with 28 assists, eight digs and two block assists out of the setter position.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Nicolai's 57 assists vs. VSU are the ninth-most-ever from a Fighting Knight in a four-set match in program history.
- The Fighting Knights posted a .331 attack percentage as a team vs. VSU, marking the program's best hitting clip in a match since Oct. 29, 2016 (.353, at FIT).
- Wayne St. is receiving votes and is just outside the Top-25 in the AVCA Preseason National Rankings.
- Udovcic was a Sunshine State Conference All-Newcomer Team selection last year.
- Seven players made their Blue and White debut today (Vavan, Siena Kelley, Kinna, Bridgette O'Connor, Nicolai, Ashley Cushman and Biatriz Souza Berti).
Lynn has two more matches at the Embry Riddle Tournament tomorrow, Aug. 25. Lynn first plays Westminster (Utah) at 9 a.m. before closing out with Shaw at 1 p.m.