Fort Lauderdale, Fla. – Lynn University's volleyball team had its first match of the 11th Annual Shark Invitational at Nova Southeastern on Friday night with the Fighting Knights posting a comfortable 3-0 victory over Texas A&M International University.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 3, TAMIU 0 (25-16, 25-18, 25-16)
Records: Lynn (4-1), TAMIU (1-6)
Location: Rick Case Arena | Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 2-0
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE MATCH:
- The starting outsides carried the bulk of the offensive load for the Fighting Knights.
- Sonja Udovcic led all players in the match with 13 kills, swinging at a .200 clip, and tacked on nine digs. Rafaela Fonseca notched her 11 kills at an efficient .273 hitting percentage while adding eight digs and two blocks (one solo).
- Marine Kinna received the nod at libero for the second consecutive match, recording match-highs in digs (14) and service aces (3).
- Paige Fullerton, making her Blue and White debut, got off to a hot start in the first set before finishing with eight kills (.250), four digs and three blocks.
- Middle blocker Lauren Odom led the squad with five block assists, but had a sneaky good night offensively, logging six kills on eight swings with no errors (.750).
- Isadora Nicolai continues to guide the offense from the setter position, tallying 38 assists, nine digs and two blocks.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The only other time these two teams have met was when Lynn downed TAMIU 3-1 in the 2012 season opener at the Sixth Annual Shark Invitational.
- Udovcic (4.84) and Nicolai (12.26) continue to lead the Sunshine State Conference in kills and assists per set, respectively.
- Fullerton, a graduate transfer from London who just joined team activities earlier this week, earned a starting nod and came out hot with four kills in the first set.
- This was Lynn's first sweep of the season.
- Fonseca recorded the first solo block from any Fighting Knight so far this year.
The Blue and White will play two tomorrow, Saturday, Sept. 1, starting with a tilt against Babson College at 10 a.m. from the Rick Case Arena.