Fort Lauderdale, Fla. – Lynn University's volleyball team capped off early-season nonconference play with a three-game sweep at the 11th Annual Shark Invitational at Nova Southeastern University this weekend. On Saturday, the Fighting Knights needed just three sets to take down Babson in the first match before defeating the Missouri S&T Miners in four sets during the nightcap. With the wins, the Blue and White are off to their second 6-1 start in three years.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 3, Babson 0 (25-15, 25-16, 25-13) | Missouri S&T (21-25, 25-14, 25-14, 25-20)
Records: Lynn (6-1), Babson (1-2), Missouri S&T (6-2)
Location: Rick Case Arena | Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
All-Time Series: First-ever meeting with Babson | Lynn leads Missouri S&T 2-0
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE MATCH:
- The Fighting Knights came out strong taking the first set 25-15 with four blocks in the frame. Paige Fullerton and Marcella De Vuono had three and four blocks respectively in the first.
- The Blue and White did not look back as they took the next two sets and led throughout the entire third game.
- Rafaela Fonseca had a day on the outside tallying a match-leading 14 kills at a career-best .545 attack clip, swinging 22 times with just two errors. She totaled an additional nine digs and two block assists.
- At the setter position, Isadora Nicolai registered 32 assists. She added two aces and six digs to her resume in the match.
- Fullerton delivered on the right side, recording nine kills on 18 swings (.389). The newcomer also added four block assists and two digs.
- De Vuono finished with a match-high six blocks while her counterpart Lauren Odom added five.
- As a team, Lynn totaled 11 blocks and hit a season-best .351.
- The Fighting Knights fell to the Miners in the first set of the match 25-21. It was their first time losing a set in their last nine.
- The Blue and White came back in the second and third sets with four aces in the second set and logged a booming .414 attack percentage in the third.
- Nicolai tallied 36 assists in the match and added 10 digs, while sniping in a season-high four service aces.
- Udovcic tallied a strong double-double with a match-high 17 kills and 16 digs.
- Fullerton added an additional 11 kills and five block assists.
- De Vouno continued to dominate at the net, contributing a match-high six block assists and a solo block.
- Marine Kinna led all players on the floor with a season-best 21 digs.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Fighting Knights are off to a 6-1 start for the first time since 2016 and the fifth time in the last 10 years (2009, 2010, 2012).
- Lynn's .351 attack percentage is the best in a match for the Blue and White this season and is the best since they registered a .353 percentage against Florida Tech in 2016.
- The Fighting Knights totaled 11 blocks in each match on Saturday, marking a season-high.
- Biatriz Souza Berti had multiple service aces in all three matches this weekend.
The Blue and White look to continue their winning streak at nationally-ranked Palm Beach Atlantic on Friday, Sept. 7, at 7:00 p.m. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.