West Palm Beach, Fla. – Lynn University's volleyball team had a tough task in its 2018 Sunshine State Conference opener on Friday night, having to travel to No. 4 Palm Beach Atlantic University. Lynn kept it close throughout but the Sailfish took the match in four sets, 3-1.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: #4 Palm Beach Atlantic 3, Lynn 1 (25-22, 22-25, 25-18, 25-23)
Records: PBA (8-1, 1-0 SSC), Lynn (6-2, 0-1 SSC)
Location: Rubin Arena | West Palm Beach, Fla.
All-Time Series: PBA leads 25-10
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE MATCH:
- The Fighting Knights starting outside hitters each tallied double-digits in the kill column. Sonja Udovcic logged the squad's only double-double with 12 kills and 14 digs while Rafaela Fonseca posted a team-high 16 kills with nine digs and two of the team's three service aces.
- Marcella De Vuono tallied five kills on nine swings with no errors for a career-best .556 attack percentage. She added three blocks, including two of Lynn's three solo stuffs.
- Libero Marine Kinna led the back row defense with a team-best 16 digs. She tacked on the team's final service ace.
- Isadora Nicolai set up the offense with 34 assists.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn was on a five-match winning streak coming into tonight.
- Quality serving was not on display tonight as the teams combined for 20 servicer errors – 10 apiece – while collecting just seven total aces on the night.
- Anja Vavan saw her first action since opening weekend.
- Lynn hasn't won its conference opener since 2012.
- PBA has now won 11 straight matches over Lynn dating back to the 2013 season. Lynn last took down the Sailfish in 2010.
- Last season when these teams met in West Palm Beach, the Sailfish were also ranked No. 4 in the country at the time and took the match in four sets.
The Fighting Knights are back at it tomorrow, Saturday, Sept. 8 for their home opener. First serve vs. Barry University is slated for 4 p.m.