BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's volleyball team secured its first Sunshine State Conference win of the young season on Friday, knocking off a tough Florida Southern College squad in an offense-heavy five-set thriller, 3-2.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 3, FSC 2 (25-23, 20-25, 24-26, 25-15, 15-9)
Records: Lynn (7-3, 1-2 SSC), FSC (6-5, 1-2 SSC)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: FSC leads 32-11
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE MATCH:
- Outside hitters Sonja Udovcic and Rafaela Fonseca shined on both sides of the ball for the Fighting Knights. Udovcic notched 16 kills at an impressive .400 hitting percentage and led all players on the floor with a season-high 26 digs while Fonseca put away a season-high 19 kills and rounded out the double-double with 17 digs.
- Marine Kinna moved back to the outside after serving as libero the past few weeks, tallying nine kills, 17 digs and three of the team's five service aces.
- Middle blockers Lauren Odom (.304) and Marcella De Vuono (.385) were effective on offense, combining for 15 kills with five blocks.
- Isadora Nicolai (28 assists, 10 digs) and Biatriz Souza Berti (24 assists, 18 digs) split time at the setter position.
- Olivia La Plume saw the first extended action of her collegiate career as the freshman earned the starting nod as the team's libero, picking up nine digs and two assists.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Last season, Florida Southern took both matches over Lynn, finished with a 30-7 (19-1 SSC) record and were runners-up at the NCAA National Championship.
- FSC opened up this year ranked No. 4 in the AVCA Preseason National Rankings. They have since dropped out.
- The Blue and White's 69 kills and 100 digs were both season-highs while their .294 hitting percentage is the third-best mark this season.
- All six players in Lynn's attacking core hit at least .200 or above.
- Udovcic has 20+ digs in back-to-back matches. Her .400 attack clip matches her season-high from the season-opener.
- Souza Berti logged season-highs in both assists and digs.
Lynn caps off its home stretch with another tough league contest tomorrow, Saturday, Sept. 15, vs. Saint Leo at 4 p.m.