BOCA RATON, Fla. – Despite a first-set victory and a solid performance at the net defensively throughout, Lynn University's volleyball team was unable to carry over the momentum from a big Friday night win as the Fighting Knights fell to Saint Leo University in Sunshine State Conference action on Saturday afternoon, 3-1. Lauren Odom posted 11 blocks, tying the school record for most blocks in a four-set match.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Saint Leo 3, Lynn 1 (22-25, 25-20, 25-21, 25-20)
Records: Saint Leo (6-6, 3-1 SSC), Lynn (7-4, 1-3 SSC)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Saint Leo leads 28-14
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE MATCH:
- Odom turned up the defense in the late stages of the match, finishing with nine blocks assists and two solo blocks. Offensively, Odom added six kills on 16 swings for a .312 attack percentage.
- Sonja Udovcic was the only Fighting Knight attacker in double figures, logging 14 kills on 38 attempts (.211). Udovcic also led the back row defense with a match-high 18 digs.
- Marine Kinna added nine kills for the second consecutive night with Rafaela Fonseca tacking on six.
- Olivia La Plume served as the libero for the second straight match, notching a career-high 13 digs.
- Isadora Nicolai and Biatriz Souza Berti split time at setter. Nicolai led the way in assists with 18, while Souza Berti added 15 assists, 14 digs and two service aces.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Odom's 11 blocks ties the school record for most blocks in a four-set match, joining Claire Angelich (vs. Embry-riddle; 10/02/15) and Haley Pratt (vs. Eckerd; 09/29/12).
- Last year as a freshman, Odom had an outstanding collegiate debut, tying the school record for total blocks in a match with 12 vs. Missouri S&T (9/1) in the season opener.
- As a team, Lynn finished with 15 total blocks. That mark ties for the third-most in program history in a four-set match and is the most since 2015.
- Udovcic now has a double-double in five straight matches.
- Souza Berti has hit double-digits in the digs column in three straight matches.
Lynn hits the road next week, starting with a quick trip down south for a 7 p.m. match at Nova Southeastern on Tuesday, Sept. 18.