Orlando, Fla. – Lynn University's volleyball team got off to a slow start on Friday at the 2018 South Region Crossover, dropping its first match of the day 3-0 to Alabama-Huntsville, but the Fighting Knights responded with a 3-0 triumph over Shorter in the nightcap.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: UAH 3, Lynn 0 (25-19, 25-23, 25-18) | Lynn 3, Shorter 0 (25-19, 25-16, 25-19)
Records: Lynn (12-11), UAH (19-7), Shorter (9-13)
Location: Orlando Sports Center | Orlando, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads UAH 6-2 | Lynn leads Shorter 3-0
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE MATCH:
- Outsides Rafaela Fonseca and Sonja Udovcic paced the offense as the only Lynn attackers in double figures. Fonseca logged a match-high-tying 15 kills and co-led the squad with 14 digs. Udovcic recorded 11 kills at a .258 hitting clip and also locked down a double-double with 13 digs.
- Paige Fullerton tacked on five kills and led the defensive efforts at the net with three blocks, including two solo stuffs.
- Isadora Nicolai distributed 27 assists and rounded out a double-double with 10 digs and two service aces. Biatriz Souza Berti co-led the team with 14 digs.
- Lynn hit under .150 in all three sets as the Chargers hit over .150 in all three sets.
- Fonseca and Udovcic each tallied 11 kills with double-doubles in the second match of the day. Fonseca hit .308 and led all players on the floor with 17 digs while Udovcic had 10 digs with a .364 attack clip.
- Fullerton came up big at the net again, recording a season-high-tying six blocks with one solo. She tacked on five kills offensively with a .308 hitting percentage.
- Marine Kinna returned to the starting libero position for the first time in the past 14 matches (Sept. 8 vs. Barry) and logged double-digit digs for the sixth time in the past seven matches with 11.
- Nicolai (22) and Berti (9) combined for 31 of the team's 36 assists. Nicolai added three digs and a block.
- Lauren Odom hit a team-best .500 on five kills and posted up for two solo blocks and a block assist.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The South Region Crossover, now its in fourth year, pits the Sunshine State Conference volleyball programs against the Gulf South Conference squads, featuring 24 teams and 36 matches over two days of competition.
- Lynn and UAH have been matched up at each of the last three South Region Crossovers. The Chargers won in 2017 and 2018, but Lynn won all six matchups between 2005 and 2016.
- Lynn's 71 digs against Alabama-Huntsville marks a team season-high in three-set matches.
- No player on Shorter had more than seven digs in the second match.
- All 15 players on the roster got into the match for Shorter.
- Lynn's 37 kills in the second match are tied for a season-low in matches Lynn won in three sets.
The Blue and White close out the South Region Crossover tomorrow, Saturday, Oct. 20 with a 12:15 p.m. matchup against West Alabama.