Orlando, Fla. – Lynn University's volleyball team held an early lead and had its chances to take down the Gulf South Conference's second-place team on Saturday, but the Fighting Knights dropped a 3-1 decision to West Alabama in the finale of the 2018 South Region Crossover.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: West Alabama 3, Lynn 1 (22-25, 25-23, 27-25, 25-17)
Records: West Alabama (18-6), Lynn (12-12)
Location: Orlando Sports Center | Orlando, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 8-2
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE MATCH:
- Junior outside hitter Sonja Udovcic carried the load offensively, putting down a match-high 21 kills on 60 swings with a .233 hitting percentage. She tacked on eight digs defensively with three blocks, including both of Lynn's solo blocks on the day.
- Rafaela Fonseca bolstered the back row defense with 14 digs but struggled to get going offensively, finishing with eight kills on 32 swings. She did snipe in two of the team's nine service aces.
- Olivia La Plume returned to the libero position after sitting out the Friday night outing, tying the match-high with 19 digs and leading the Fighting Knights at the service line with three aces.
- Paige Fullerton (.294) and Lauren Odom (.357) each logged seven kills out of the middle while combining for five blocks.
- Setter Isadora Nicolai registered 25 assists, nine digs and two aces. Biatriz Souza Berti added 15 helpers and five digs.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The South Region Crossover, now in its fourth year, pits the Sunshine State Conference volleyball programs against the Gulf South Conference squads, featuring 24 teams and 36 matches over two days of competition.
- Lynn's nine service aces are the team's second-most in a match this season and the most since the squad logged 10 in the seventh match of the year on Sept. 1.
- The win is the first for West Alabama over Lynn since 2013 and just the second in 10 matchups all-time.
- West Alabama is currently in second place in the Gulf South Conference standings with an 18-6 overall record and a 10-2 league mark.
- La Plume's 19 digs and three aces are both season-highs.
- Udovcic recorded 20+ kills for the fourth time this season, but for the first time since she had 30 in the fourth match of the season on Aug. 25. She had 20+ in three of the first four matches at the onset of this season.
The Fighting Knights return to conference play next weekend, hosting Eckerd on Saturday, Oct. 27, at 4 p.m.