BOCA RATON, Fla. – Emotions were kept in check from start to finish but with the final kill of the night, Rafael Fonseca embraced her team in tears in leading Lynn University volleyball team to a 3-0 sweep over Nova Southeastern on Senior Night. The senior outside hitter led all players in kills and set a career-high in service aces.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 3, NSU 0 (25-16, 25-17, 25-20
Records: Lynn (14-12, 7-9 SSC), NSU (6-21, 4-13 SSC)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 26-20 (won 3-1 on Sept. 18)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE MATCH:
- Fonseca led all players with 16 kills on 43 attacks, hitting .302 in the process. She added 11 digs for the double-double.
- Sonja Udovcic was second with 13 kills on 33 attacks (.242). She narrowly missed out on the double-double with nine digs while adding two block assists.
- Lauren Odom hit an efficient .357 with seven kills on 14 attacks. She also recorded one solo block and three block assists.
- Biatriz Souza Berti quarterbacked the offense with 20 assists and chipped in 13 digs.
- The Blue and White hit .235 in the game while holding Nova Southeastern to a 0.73 clip.
- Denvyr Tyler-Palmer led the Sharks with just nine kills on a .167 hitting percentage.
- Marine Kinna added 13 digs.
- Isadora Nicolai pitched in with 13 assists.
- NSU's Megan Burns led all players with 15 digs.
- Senior Paige Fullerton turned in five kills on a .250 hitting percentage with one dig, one solo block and two block assists.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Fighting Knights recognized both Fonseca and Fullerton in a pre-match ceremony.
- Lynn honored the 2018 NCAA Division II National Championship men's golf team in between sets two and three and unveiled the 24th national championship banner.
- Fonseca's five service aces are a career-high.
- Berti collected her fifth double-double of the year while Fonseca picked up her 14th of the season.
- Berti also logged her third consecutive match with double-digit assists, her second-longest streak of the year (five matches 9/14-9/28).
- This is the eighth match of the year Lynn has held its opponent under a .100 hitting percentage and is the sixth-lowest total this season.
- The Fighting Knights held the Sharks to 0.91 hitting percentage in September.
- This is the sixth time this season Lynn has recorded at least seven service aces in a match and the second time in a three-set match (Babson – Sept. 1)
- Lynn won back-to-back matches for the first time since Oct. 5-6, a span of six matches.
Lynn looks to make it three straight when it travels to Winter Park, Fla, on Friday, Nov. 2, to take on Rollins College. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.