Memphis, Tenn. – Lynn University's volleyball program broke out the brooms on Saturday with 3-0 sweeps over Maryville (Mo.) and Union (Tenn.) on Saturday to complete an unblemished 4-0 weekend at the Christian Brothers Tournament.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 3, Maryville 0, (25-22, 25-23, 25-21), Lynn 3, Union 0 (25-15, 25-23, 25-21)
Records: Lynn (4-0), Maryville (0-1), Union (2-1)
Location: Canale Arena | Memphis, Tenn.
Series History: First meeting vs. Maryville | Lynn leads 4-0 over Union
STATS OF THE MATCH:
- Lynn pulled out three tightly-contested frames, claiming the win in straight sets 25-22, 25-23 and 25-21.
- Both sides attacked the ball well, but the Fighting Knights posted a higher hitting percentage in the end, out-hitting Maryville .373-.326.
- Victoria Macaluso continued her strong weekend, posting 13 kills and zero errors, for a blistering hitting percentage of .619.
- Biatriz Souza Berti and Melanie Cuervo paced the offensive attack, dishing out 40 combined assists.
- At the net, Lauren Odom turned in 3.0 block assists while Milica Kusmuk added 2.0 of her own.
- Libero Olivia La Plume posted 12 digs, a solid number considering the offensive firepower between these two teams.
- The Blue and White continued their momentum into their final match of the weekend, rolling to a 3-0 victory over Union by scores of 25-15, 25-23 and 25-21.
- Lynn hit .417 in the match with 51 kills and just six attacking errors.
- Sonja Udovcic fueled the Fighting Knight attack with a match-high 13 kills with Macaluso joining her in double-digits to finish with 10.
- Odom posted a solid outing on both ends, hammering nine kills and adding 2.0 block assists.
- Souza Berti and Cuervo combined for 41 assists for a Lynn attack which was firing on all cylinders.
- Ruth Zijlstra posted 10 digs on the backline, notching double-digit digs for the second time this weekend.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- This is the Fighting Knights first 4-0 start since 2001.
- Macaluso's .619 attack percentage vs. Maryville ranks sixth all-time for best attacking percentage in a match (min. 20 attempts) in program history.
- Lynn's .417 attack percentage vs. Union is ninth best all-time for single match attack percentage (team).
Lynn looks for its first-ever 5-0 start next weekend, continuing non-conference tournament play with a four-game slate at Alabama Huntsville on Sept. 13-14. The Sunshine State Conference season then begins on Friday, September 20 with a home tilt against rival-Barry.