Huntsville, Ala. – Lynn University's volleyball team dropped its first match of the season to Alabama Huntsville but took care of business against Southern Wesleyan to split on the first day of the Charger Classic. Marine Kinna and Victoria Macaluso netted 16 kills apiece in the two matches.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: UAH 3, Lynn 0, (25-23, 25-19, 25-14), Lynn 3, Southern Wesleyan (25-12, 25-22 25-14)
Records: Lynn (5-1), UAH (6-0) Southern Wesleyan (0-5)
Location: Spragins Hall | Huntsville, Ala.
Series History: Lynn leads UAH 6-3 all-time (last met in 2018); First meeting with SWU
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Alabama Huntsville
- The closest set of the match came in the opening stanza as the Fighting Knights fell by two points. Lynn outhit UAH .147 to .143 but could not take the set.
- The Blue and White hit .106 for the match and held the Chargers to a .172 clip.
- Ruth Zijlstra had a team-high 11 digs while Oliva La Plume added 10.
- Sonja Udovcic led the squad with eight kills with Kinna tacking on seven more.
- Among players with over 10 total attacks, Siena Kelly hit .300 (four attacks on 10 attacks and Milica Kusmuck .231 (four kills on 13 attacks).
- Beatriz Souza Berti logged a team-best 16 assists with Melanie Cuervo picking up 10.
- Southern Wesleyan
- Lynn came out hitting in its second match of the day, knocking around the Warriors to the tune of a .379 clip overall. Southern Wesleyan was held to a .098 percentage, including two matches hitting zero.
- The first match saw Lynn hit .385 with just two errors on 26 total attacks.
- Macaluso and Paige Barash led all hitters with 11 kills with Macaluso smacking at an eye-popping .846 clip (11 of 13 TA, zero errors). She added two blocks as well.
- La Plume posted a game-high 13 digs.
- Kinna just missed out on a double-double with nine kills (.438) and 10 digs.
- Nadia Lindner also logged seven kills and a .357 hitting percentage.
- Setters roles were reversed in the second match as Cuervo had 20 digs compared to Bertii's 16.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn starts 5-1 for the second consecutive year.
- Linder set a career-high for kills, total attacks, hitting percentage, digs (2) and blocks (2) against Southern Wesleyan.
- Barash also set a career-high for kills, total attacks (21), digs (2) and total blocks (1). Her 11 digs nearly tripled her season total.
- Kinna, La Plume and Zijlstra lead the team with three matches of double-digit digs. Kinna is the only player on the team with at least seven digs in every match this season.
Lynn closes out the Chargers Classic with matches against Mississippi College and Ouachita Baptist at 1 & 5 pm CT. Fans can keep up with action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.