Boca Raton, Fla. – Opening Sunshine State Conference play at home against No. 16-ranked Barry wasn't an easy way for Lynn University's volleyball team to start the conference season. However, the Fighting Knights went the distance and overcame a 12-8 deficit in the deciding set to upset the Buccaneers 3-2 and start SSC play at 1-0.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Scores: Lynn 3, No. 16 Barry (25-16, 16-25, 25-16, 16-25, 16-14)
Records: Lynn (8-1, 1-0), Barry (5-4, 0-1)
Location: de Hoernle Sports & Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series History: Lynn trails the series 33-13 and last played in 2018.
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Sonja Udovcic and Paige Barash each had a team-high 16 kills.
- Udovcic posted a double-double as she added 20 digs.
- Marine Kinna also had a double-double with 11 kills and 14 digs.
- The third double-double of the match was turned in by Biatriz Souza Berti who had 26 assists and 11 digs.
- Olivia La Plume was the third player with double-digit digs with 20.
- Melanie Cuervo added 26 assists.
- The Fighting Knights totaled a .240 team hitting percentage.
- Lynn totaled five aces.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Udovcic closed out the match with a kill on four of the last five rallies, including the match winner.
- Udovcic also posted a season-high in kills and matched her season-high in digs.
- The 16 kills for Barash were a new career-high.
- Souza Berti and Cuervo both matched their season-high in assists.
- After dropping the second set, Lynn rallied in the third set and outscored the Bucs 12-3 after the match was tied at 13-13.
- This was the first win over a ranked team since Nov. 12, 2016.
- Lynn beat Barry at home for the first time since Oct. 24, 2017.
Lynn will look to keep the good vibes going when they put their 1-0 conference record on the line against No. 23 Palm Beach Atlantic Saturday, Sept. 21, at 4 p.m. Fans you can always follow the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com