Boca Raton, Fla. – Lynn University Volleyball was in the unenviable position of opening Sunshine State Conference play against two nationally-ranked teams in the span of 21 hours. The Fighting Knights overcame those obstacles to make program history with a 3-1 win over No. 23-ranked Palm Beach Atlantic. Coupled with the win over No. 16 Barry, Lynn won back-to-back matches over ranked teams for the first time in program history.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Scores: Lynn 3, No. 23 Palm Beach Atlantic 1 (25-18, 22-25, 25-20, 25-19)
Records: Lynn (9-1, 2-0), PBA (6-4, 1-1)
Location: de Hoernle Sports & Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series History: Lynn now trails the series 36-17 and last played in 2018.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Marine Kinna and Sonja Udovcic each posted a double-double. Kinna had a game-high 18 kills and added 10 digs. Udovcic was right behind her with 17 kills and had a game-high 21 digs.
- Olivia La Plume added 19 digs.
- The block was a huge factor for the Fighting Knights they had five solo blocks and 16 block assists led by Lauren Odom in both categories with three and six.
- Biatriz Souza Berti had a game-high 31 assists.
- Melanie Cuervo added 15 assists.
- The Fighting Knights totaled a .275 team hitting percentage and held the Sailfish to just .133.
- Twice, Lynn held PBA under .52 percent in a set.
- With the match tied at a set apiece, Lynn went on a run in the third after the set was tied at 14-14. The Fighting Knights outscored the Sailfish 11-4 from that point on
- The final set was knotted at 10-10 following a Lynn timeout and they responded with a 6-2 run, forcing a PBA TO and took control of the match.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Kinna had a season-high in kills.
- After setting a new season-high in assists against Barry, Souza Berti topped that on Saturday with a new career-high.
- Udovcic set a new season-high in kills.
- Both Kinna and Udovcic had a double-double against Barry in Lynn's previous match.
- This was the first win for Lynn over Palm Beach Atlantic since 2010.
The Fighting Knights look to move to 3-0 in conference play when they make the short trip south to Nova Southeastern Tuesday at 7 p.m. Fans you can always follow the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com