BOCA RATON, Fla. – Senior day has a history of making the home team come out a little sluggish. That was again the case on Saturday for Lynn volleyball, however great teams like the Fighting Knights overcome slow starts and that's just what they did. Lynn picked up the sweep over Florida Southern, which clinched them the Sunshine State Conference Title. It is the first time in program history they will have a claim to the conference crown.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Scores: Lynn 3, Florida Southern (25-20, 25-21, 25-21)
Records: Lynn (25-4, 16-2), Florida Southern (7-21, 3-15)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center| Boca Raton, Fla.
Series History: Following the two wins over the Mocs this season, Lynn trails the all-time series 13-33.
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Sonja Udovcic carried the Lynn offense through the early parts of the match and she finished with a match-high 16 kills. She added nine digs.
- Victoria Macaluso was clutch for the Fighting Knights with 11 kills and four aces.
- Setter of the week in the SSC Biatriz Souza Berti had 44 assists in the win.
- Ruth Zijlstra had 10 digs.
- Lynn had eight total blocks as a team.
- They hit an even .300.
- Florida Southern was held to just .147.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn extended its program-record winning streak to 12.
- They have won 13 of 14 matches.
- During the winning streak, they have won in a sweep eight times and have only dropped four sets in the 12 matches.
- They haven't played more than four sets in any match over the streak.
- Souza Berti has had at least 30 assists in 14 consecutive matches.
- Udovcic has posted double-digit kills in five-straight matches.
CHASING A CHAMPIONSHIP
- The victory over Florida Southern means they have won the Sunshine State Title.
- A new conference rule eliminated tiebreakers. So any team that has a share of the title wins a title.
- The Fighting Knights can win the conference outright with a win over Embry-Riddle on Thursday.
- This is the 44th conference title in Lynn Athletics history.
the Fighting Knights will go for that outright championship on Thursday at Embry-Riddle. They beat the Eagles earlier this season, 3-1. If you can't make the trip to Daytona Beach, you can watch live on the SSC Digital Network and of course you can always follow along at LynnFightingKnights.com