Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. – Lynn University's baseball team jumped out to an early lead on Sunday in the final game of the squad's Sunshine State Conference series at 12th-ranked Nova Southeastern University but the high-powered Sharks offense consistently chipped away at Lynn for a 16-6 victory.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: NSU 16, Lynn 6
Records: #12 NSU (26-9, 18-3 SSC), Lynn (20-20, 9-15 SSC)
Location: NSU Baseball Complex | Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.
All-Time Series: NSU leads 57-54
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- The Lynn offense got things going in the top of the second with the first four runs of the game. Willie Seay launched a two-run homer before singles from Cal Bocchino, Gabe Martinez and Patrick Dorrian plated two more.
- The Blue and White wouldn't light up the scoreboard again until the ninth inning. Dorrian registered his second RBI single of the game while a Shayne Fontana sacrifice fly brought home Martinez.
- Dorrian finished the day 3-of-4 from the dish with a trio of singles and a walk.
- Martinez and Bocchino each went 2-for-4 on the day, with Bocchino logging a double.
- Alejandro Martinez posted Lynn's other double in the contest while fellow first baseman Tyler Green tallied Lynn's final base knock.
- Tyler Zuppa took the loss in his sixth start of the year, allowing five runs, all earned, through 2.0 innings of work with two strikeouts.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Philip Quinn, Anthony Franco, Zack Miednik, Ryan Orender and Alec Hernandez all saw work out of the Lynn bullpen, with Franco finishing as the only Fighting Knight to not give up an earned run.
- The Lynn defense recorded multiple double plays for the 12th time this season.
- Seay belted his sixth home run of the year, moving him into a tie for third-most on the squad.
- NSU's 18-3 conference record is second-best in the league behind only Tampa.
- Lynn was swept in a conference series for the third time this season. Two of these series were against nationally-ranked teams.
Lynn returns home this weekend to host Embry-Riddle in a three-game league series, starting at 3 p.m. on Friday, April 20.