Tampa, Fla. – Lynn University's men's basketball team got off to a slow start on Saturday afternoon and chased host University of Tampa the entire way as early turnovers and consistent foul trouble for the Fighting Knights led to a 72-65 Sunshine State Conference defeat at the hands of the Spartans.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa 72, Lynn 65
Records: Tampa (4-4, 1-3 SSC), Lynn (2-4, 1-3 SSC)
Location: Bob Martinez Athletic Center | Tampa, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 24-20
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Randy Bell continues to lead the team in scoring coming off the bench, tallying 13 points and six boards.
- Ryan Peterson (12) and Brandon Bornelus (11) each scored in double figures while Bornelus had three of the team's season-low five assists.
- Rasheed Worrell inched closer to his first double-double of the season, recording eight points and a team-best 11 boards.
- Darius James went 2-of-4 from the field and 2-for-2 at the foul line for six points and five rebounds off the bench.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Fighting Knights committed a season-high 31 fouls, five more than any other game this year.
- A total of 13 players saw the floor for the Blue and White.
- James, Traveon Henry, Chances Matlock and Daniel Cooper all saw season-highs in minutes. Matlock made his season debut.
- Lynn's 65 points and six made three-pointers are both season-lows but the team did notch a season-high in rebounds (45) and matched a season-high in steals (9).
- The Blue and White were held to single digits in the assist column for the first time in nearly a calendar year.
The Fighting Knights will next head north to Salem International University for a pair of nonconference games over the weekend. First up is Lincoln University (PA) on Saturday, Dec. 9 at 2 p.m.