Melbourne, Fla. – Season-best marks in points, field-goal percentage and three-point shooting were the key ingredients for Lynn University's men's basketball team on Monday afternoon as the Fighting Knights kicked off Florida Tech's Holiday Classic with a 93-75 nonconference triumph over Shawnee State University. Four players scored in double figures, led by junior Jamal Palmer's season-high 23.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 93, Shawnee State 75
Records: Lynn (4-5), Shawnee State (8-4)
Location: Clemente Center | Melbourne, Fla.
All-Time Series: First-ever meeting
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Palmer led his squad offensively from start to finish, finishing with 23 points on 68.8% shooting (11-of-16). He tied for the team-lead with 29 minutes on the floor while adding two assists, two steals and a block.
- Kevin O'Brien found his shooting touch, knocking down three triples and shooting 6-of-9 from the floor for a season-high 17 points.
- Michael Baez scored all 13 of his points in the second half in 22 total minutes off the bench, going 5-for-10 from the field with three rebounds and an assist.
- Rasheed Worrell came off the bench for the first time this season, logging 12 points, three boards, two assists, a steal and a team-high two blocks.
- Starting point guard Brandon Bornelus registered team-bests in assists (5) and rebounds (6) to go along with eight points on 4-of-5 shooting.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Fighting Knights totaled season-highs as a team in points (93), field-goal percentage (54.5%), three-point shooting percentage (38.9%), steals (10) and blocks (5).
- Palmer's 23 points are two shy of his career-high, having scored 25 on two occasions last year as a sophomore.
- Ryan Peterson swiped four steals, marking the first Lynn player with more than three steals in a game this season.
- All 14 Fighting Knights on the roster saw action in the game.
- Shawnee State had won three of its last four outings coming into today's matchup.
- Lynn is now 3-2 in neutral-site games this season.
The Fighting Knights close out the FIT Holiday Classic tomorrow, Tuesday, Dec. 19, when the squad battles Miles College at 3:30 p.m.