Fort Lauderdale, Fla. – Despite jumping out to a lead as large as 17 points in the opening half, the Lynn University men's basketball team needed overtime to defeat a tough Nova Southeastern squad in a Sunshine State Conference battle at Rick Case Arena on Wednesday night, 90-86. Ryan Peterson led Lynn with 17 points, including a pair of late free throws in regulation that helped send the game to overtime.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 90, Nova Southeastern 86
Records: Lynn 10-8 (7-5 SSC), NSU 12-6 (6-6 SSC)
Location: Rick Case Arena | Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads, 23-17 (Teams split season series this year)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Peterson's 17 points were his most in a game since he scored the same amount on Dec. 19 against Miles. He was 6-for-12, tying for his third-best shooting performance of the season, and pulled in six rebounds.
- Jamal Palmer netted 16 points with eight assists for the Blue and White, setting a new career high in helpers in the victory. Palmer was also 6-for-12 shooting and added a pair of steals on the defensive end.
- Brandon Bornelus kept his hot hand scoring the ball, tallying 15 points for his seventh straight game in double-digit point totals.
- Michael Baez continued to knock down his free throws, shooting an impressive 9-of-10 at the line, including a 4-for-4 mark in the second half and 3-for-4 mark in overtime.
- Kevin O'Brien and Rasheed Worrell each checked in with 11 points and four rebounds on the scoresheet to lead the Fighting Knights' frontcourt.
- Lynn shot an impressive 54.2 percent (32-of-59) from the floor, while NSU managed to shoot just 42.5 percent in comparison. The Sharks made just four threes in the game, but attempted more than 70 field goals to keep the game close.
- The Fighting Knights turned the ball over 20 times to NSU's 11, and both teams pulled in an equal amount of rebounds with 38 apiece.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The win was No. 200 at Lynn University for head coach Jeff Price, who spent six seasons with Lynn in the 1990's prior to rejoining the program in 2013.
- Lynn is 2-0 in games that go to overtime this season, taking down Florida Southern on the road in overtime earlier this year.
- 90 points is the third-highest point total for the team this season, coming up just three points shy of the top mark of 93 against Shawnee State.
- It was just the second time this season that Lynn has shot better than 50 percent from the floor with the team winning both contests in which they reached the milestone.
The Fighting Knights return to action on Saturday when they face off with Rollins in an SSC battle in Winter Park, Fla. Tip-off is slated for 4 p.m.