BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's men's lacrosse team fell in a rain-soaked non-conference game to eighth-ranked Belmont Abbey 15-10 at home on Tuesday evening. Mikey Urso became the new points leader for the program, tallying five points, while Conor Vaughan poured in his first career hat-trick and Greg Morissette tallied his 100th career ground ball.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 8 Belmont Abbey 15, Lynn 10
Records: Belmont Abbey (8-1), Lynn (3-3, 0-1 SSC)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook -/LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Urso totaled a team-high five points, netting two goals and adding three assists.
- Vaughan's three goals are a career-high for the senior who now has seven for the season.
- Starter Caleb Wells scored twice on two shots.
- Xander Cosenza notched a goal and an assist on a team-high seven shots, adding a ground ball.
- Jared Chaloux and Nick McCabe each chipped in one goal.
- Dryden Brous continues to prove himself as a premier faceoff guy in Division II, going 22-for-28 at the 'X' with a game-high 13 ground balls.
- Belmont Abbey's goalie Bryce Gifford was excellent between the pipes, stopping 11 of Lynn's 21 shots on goal.
- On the flip side, the Crusaders scored on 15-of-16 shots-on-goal.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Belmont Abbey controlled both the second and fourth quarters, outscoring the Fighting Knights a combined 9-2.
- Urso is now the all-time points record-holder for Lynn men's lacrosse with 144 career points, passing Austin Jerhoff (141).
- Morissette becomes the first non-faceoff-specialist to record 100 career ground balls. He ranks third all-time in program history.
- Brous' 22 faceoff wins match his highest-total of 2019 and are one shy of the program record (23) set by him last season against Florida Southern on March 31.
- The Fighting Knights move 1-1 in games with top-10 programs in 2019, downing No. 7 NYIT 19-5 on Feb. 17 before tonight's 15-10 defeat.
- Belmont Abbey came into the matchup ranked eighth in the USILA poll, having defeated four top-20 teams thus far in 2019.
Lynn continues its hosting of nonconference matchups this week, taking on St. Michael's at Bobby Campbell Stadium on Thursday, March 21 at 6 p.m.