BOCA RATON, Fla. – For the second time in as many games, the ball was put in the hands of Nick McCabe in a critical offensive situation and the redshirt-sophomore delivered yet again, striking the game-winner in overtime to give the 18th-ranked Lynn University men's lacrosse team an 11-10 victory over Saint Leo on Senior Day. With the win, the Fighting Knights capture the 2019 Sunshine State Conference Regular Season Championship, marking the first title in program history.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 11, Saint Leo 10 (OT)
Records: #18 Lynn (11-3, 6-1 SSC), Saint Leo (9-6, 4-3 SSC)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Series tied 3-3
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- McCabe notched his second consecutive game-winner, scoring the golden goal 30 seconds into overtime. The offensive midfielder finished with three goals and one assist, while all six of his shot attempts hit the frame.
- Mikey Urso tallied a game-high five points, recording four goals and a helper. His four goals match a career-best, which he has now achieved five times during his Blue and White tenure.
- Jared Chaloux logged a goal and an assist, including the game-winning helper to McCabe on a pass-and-pick offensive set.
- Xander Cosenza, Chase Stokes and long-pole winger Greg Morissette tallied Lynn's final three goals.
- Dryden Brous was fantastic at the dot, winning 19-of-23 faceoffs with 10 ground balls. He had 12 faceoff wins at halftime and only lost one draw (7-of-8) in the second half and OT.
- Collin McClelland extends his program single-season record with his 11th win of the year in the cage, making nine stops, including a clutch save with 1:18 left in regulation.
- Morissette rounded out a solid game with six ground balls and a career-high three caused turnovers.
- Short-stick middie Daniel Luette earned the starting nod, recording two caused turnovers and two ground balls.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn University has now won 41 SSC Championships, including three in the past five days (Women's Golf, Women's Tennis).
- This is the first title of any kind for the Lynn men's lacrosse program in its six years of existence.
- Before the game, Lynn honored its 10-man senior class: Evan P. Kalish, Conrad Rhein, Morissette, Conor Vaughan, Peter Masters, Christian Jenkins, Urso, Cody Bartusiak, Ian Magnan and Tyler Hopkins.
- The Fighting Knights extend their program-record winning streak to eight games, while their 11 total victories and six SSC wins this year are both the most-ever in a regular season.
- Lynn becomes the third school to ever win the men's lacrosse SSC Regular Season Championship (Tampa, 2014-2017; Saint Leo, 2018).
- Last Saturday, McCabe scored with 11 seconds left in regulation to give the Blue and White an 11-10 victory on the road at No. 16 Tampa. It was the program's first-ever win over the Spartans.
- After the win over Tampa, the Fighting Knights re-entered the USILA National Rankings this week at No. 18.
- Lynn and Saint Leo have traded wins every season since 2014. The Lions have won on the even years (2014, 2016, 2018) while the Fighting Knights have won on the odd years (2015, 2017, 2019).
As the No. 1 seed, Lynn will host a semifinal contest in the first round of the SSC Tournament next week. The Fighting Knights will square off against either Saint Leo or Rollins on Thursday, April 25, at 5 p.m.