Saint Leo, Fla. – Alun Webb's goal with 46 seconds remaining in double-overtime propelled Lynn University's second-ranked men's soccer team to a 2-1 victory over Saint Leo on Saturday night. The Fighting Knights were playing in their second consecutive double OT match and prevailed to keep their undefeated record intact.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 2, Saint Leo 1 (2OT)
Records: Lynn (6-0-1, 1-0-1 SSC), Saint Leo (1-2-0, 0-2-0 SSC)
Location: Saint Leo, Fla. | Saint Leo Soccer Field
Series History: Lynn leads all-time series 20-9 (Last met in 2015)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights, Instagram - @Lynn_Knights, Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Saint Leo started the scoring off in the 34th minute as Bafou Sanogo headed in a ball from Yuga Yanagisawa to grab a 1-0 lead before the half.
- Although not on the scoring end, Jack Watson helped the Blue & White knot the match at one apiece, setting up Matheus Ayrolla for a goal in the 55th minute.
- Webb had a chance to keep the game from hitting overtime but Lions' keeper Conor McElhinney made a diving stop to send the contest into extra time.
- Neither team had much of an opportunity in the first overtime and that stalemate carried over into the second OT.
- The match appeared headed for a draw until Webb broke free from a clutter inside the box to bury his shot past McElhinney at 109:14 for the winner.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Lynn outshot Saint Leo 14-10 and edged Saint Leo 5-3 in corner kicks.
- Of the 10 Lions shots, only two reached the frame with Alexander Roth recording one save compared to McElhinney's five stops.
- The two teams combined for 37 fouls and eight cards.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- This marked the first game this year the Fighting Knights trailed in.
- Webb is second on the team in goals (6) and points (15) to Watson.
- Ayrolla scored his first career goal with Lynn.
The Fighting Knights return to the friendly confines of Bobby Campbell Stadium to host 13th-ranked Barry on Wednesday, Sept. 21, at 6 p.m. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.