BOCA RATON, Fla. – The tailgate was bumping with good music, tasty food and rowdy fans and all that was needed was a victory as Lynn University hosted Florida Atlantic in the opening contest of the South Florida Showdown. Luckily the 10th-ranked men's soccer team took care of that with a 3-0 victory over the crosstown-rival Owls on Wednesday night.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Lynn 3, Florida Atlantic 0
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Three different members of the Blue and White found the back of the net, with freshman Martin Drobits leading the scoring with a goal 1:51 into play.
- Luca Puster put Lynn ahead 2-0 late in the second half and Alex Gil added an insurance goal in the 87th minute.
- Alun Webb, Max Herbert and Stefan Strohmaier tallied assists for the Fighting Knights.
- Alexander Roth and Jonny DeMoya had little work to do in the back as Lynn's defense allowed just four shots, including one on goal.
- The Fighting Knights outshot the Owls 12-4 overall as Daniel Ragoo tallied four saves and Luis Aranzazu posted two stops.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Newcomers accounted for all three goals as freshman Martin Drobits scored in the 2nd minute of action while Herbert and Strohmaier earned assists.
- Alun Webb, last season's assists leader, notched the opening assist of the match.
- Lynn's game against FAU was the first of nine games the Fighting Knights will host against NCAA Division I opponents. The next showdown contest takes place on Saturday, Nov. 4, against FAU's men's and women's basketball teams.
- The South Florida Showdown (#SoFloShow) will also feature men's golf, men's & women's tennis and baseball throughout the season. For more information read at LynnFightingKnights.com/SoFloShow.
Lynn begins the regular season on Friday, Sep. 1, when it takes on Auburn-Montgomery in West Palm Beach, Fla., before hosting Alabama-Huntsville on Sunday, Sep. 3. Fans can watch the action long all season on the Lynn Sports Network.