BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's fourth-ranked men's soccer team dispatched of No. 21 Palm Beach Atlantic 3-1 in a hotly contested Sunshine State Conference matchup on Wednesday night. Three different Fighting Knights found the back of the net while Alexandre Horveno took over the conference lead for assists.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Lynn 3, Palm Beach Atlantic 1
Records: Lynn (9-0-1, 5-0-1 SSC), PBA (7-2-2, 2-2-2 SSC)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series History: Lynn leads 20-1-4 all-time (went 1-0-1 in 2018)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- A penalty in the area gave Lynn an early scoring opportunity, one which David Anzenhofer would not miss in the 24th minute of play to put the Blue and White ahead 1-0.
- The Fighting Knights added to their total just before the break, 43:14, as Horveno found the leaping head of Rodrigo Fernandez off a free kick.
- Lukas Hombach cushioned the Lynn lead in the 64th minute, shredding his shot through traffic past a blinded Patrick Nettekoven to give his squad a 3-0 advantage.
- The Sailfish came to life on a Marc Hebbeker score in the 72nd minute but it proved too little, too late for the reigning SSC Champions.
- Lynn outshot Palm Beach Atlantic 16-5 but the Sailfish owned the 4-2 advantage in corner kicks.
- Nettekoven logged seven saves in the loss while Konstantin Fuhry turned away two shots after a quiet first half in which he did not see a shot on frame.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Horveno collected his sixth assist, tops in the SSC.
- Hombach netted his team-leading fifth goal and 11th point.
- Fernandez's goal is his first since his hat trick against Davenport on Sept. 8.
- Anzenhofer's goal is the first of his career.
- This is the first victory over PBA at Bobby Campbell Stadium since 2014. Lynn had gone 0-1-1 in the previous two matches on its home turf.
- The Fighting Knights are unbeaten in their last three matches against the Sailfish, going 2-0-1.
- This is the most goals scored against Palm Beach Atlantic since a 5-0 victory on Oct. 19, 2011.
- Lynn is unbeaten through 10 games for the first time since the 2009 season.
Lynn is back on the pitch Saturday, Oct. 19, for a 2 p.m. kickoff against longtime rival the University of Tampa. Fans can watch the match live at LynnFightingKnights.com.