Boca Raton, Fla. – Lynn University's men's soccer team, the top-seed in Super Region Two, took down eighth-seeded Queens University 1-0 on Saturday evening, advancing to the third round in the NCAA Division II Men's Soccer Tournament for the first time since 2017.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: #1 Lynn 1, #8 Queens 0
Records: Lynn (14-1-2), Queens (12-7-0)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series History: Lynn leads 2-0 (Last meeting, 1993)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Both sides played to a scoreless first half before Nils Borner broke the deadlock with a header goal in the 66th minutes, assisted by Alexandre Horveno.
- Lynn controlled the possession for much of the match, totaling 20 shots and eight corners compared to 7 and 0, respectively, for Queens.
- QU keeper Sebastian Kalk was outstanding, stopping seven of Lynn's eight shots on targets.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn last went to the third round in 2017, when the Fighting Knights made it all the way to the National Final before falling to Charleston (W. Va.) 1-0.
- Borner's goal is his first of 2019, the Fighting Knights' 11th different goal scorer this year.
The Fighting Knights will take on a familiar foe in their next match, welcoming Florida Tech to Boca Raton after the Thanksgiving break. The third and fourth rounds of the NCAA Tournament will be hosted by Lynn from Dec. 5-7 and will include Lynn, Florida Tech and the winners of Wingate/Young Harris and Palm Beach Atlantic/Francis Marion.