BOCA RATON, Fla. – Top-seeded Lynn University's men's soccer team downed fourth-seeded Florida Tech 2-1 on Thursday afternoon, sending the Fighting Knights to the quarterfinals of the NCAA Division II Men's Soccer Tournament for the second consecutive year.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: #1 Lynn 2, Wingate 1
Records: Lynn (16-1-1), Fla. Tech (12-4-1)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series History: Lynn leads 29-6 (Last meeting, 2019)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- An early Florida Tech goal put the Panthers ahead 1-0 just three minutes into the match.
- Levin Sandmann scored his eighth goal of the season to even the match at 1-1 on an assist from Joao Delgado at the 19:01 mark.
- Martin Drobits delivered a volley from distance on a corner kick played in by Alexandre Horveno in the 39th minute to put Lynn ahead to stay.
- After 10 combined shots in the first half, both teams combined for just three in the final 45:00.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Fighting Knights avenged an earlier season loss to Florida Tech on Nov. 5 when Lynn fell in its final regular season Sunshine State Conference (SSC) game.
- Lynn fell to Barry in the NCAA's South Region Championship in penalty kicks last season.
The quarterfinals of the NCAA Men's Soccer Championship, which also serves as the South Region Championship, will be played at 6 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 7 as Lynn will take on Wingate.