Boca Raton, Fla. – Top-seeded Lynn University's men's soccer team defeated the third-seed Wingate University on Saturday evening, 3-0, securing the Super Region Two Championship and sending the Fighting Knights to the Final Four for the first time since 2017.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: #1 Lynn 3, #3 Wingate 0
Records: Lynn (17-1-1), Wingate (15-3-3)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series History: Lynn leads 6-0 (Last meeting, 2012)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Lukas Ostermann got the scoring started in the 31st minute with a low right-footed shot that found its way past the Wingate keeper.
- Levin Sandmann scored just 36 seconds into the second half to put Lynn ahead 2-0 and then added a second goal in the final ten minutes.
- Alexandre Horveno assisted on both of Sandmann's tallies.
- Konstantin Fuhry and the defense picked up a clean sheet, their second in three matches during the NCAA Tournament.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn last went to the Final Four in 2017, advancing to the National Final before falling to Charleston (W. Va.) 1-0.
- Head coach John Rootes will be going to his fifth Final Four and is in pursuit of his third National Championship after winning in both 2012 and 2014.
The semifinals of the NCAA Men's Soccer Championship will be played on Thursday, Dec. 12 at Highmark Stadium in Pittsburgh, Pa. Once seeding for the semifinals is announced, Lynn's opponent and match time will be confirmed and updated via lynnfightingknights.com.