BOCA RATON, Fla. – The historic first season for the Lynn University men's swimming program continued on Friday with the first-ever home meet for the Fighting Knights. Aleksander Olejnik turned in two runner-up finishes while Malek Masmoudi will go down as the first male swimmer to win an event.
INSIDE THE MEET:
Scores: Nova Southeastern def. Lynn 157-46
Location: McCusker Pool Complex | Boca Raton, Fla.
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The afternoon started with a second place finish in the 200 medley relay. The squad of Thomas Labarias, Ignacio Alvarez, Masmoudi and Olejnik turned in a time of 1:36.54.
- David Romeo was the lone 1000 free style swimmer, tapping the wall in 10:54.52.
- Dalton Brown (1:52.68), Brad Jacobs (1:54.24) and Egecan Tezcan (2:12.05) participated in the 200 free.
- Olejnik grabbed his first runner-up finish in the 50 free with a time of 21.81, just three-tenths of a second behind the winner Jonathon Yanello of NSU. Cameron Dunne (23.77) and Julian Perez (25.72) also competed.
- Masmoudi took third in the 400 individual medley with a time of 4:06.87.
- The 100 butterfly saw Varon (56.37), Dunne (57.30) and Perez (1:01.74) participate.
- Olejnik notched his second runner-up finish with a time of 48.76 in the 100 free.
- Labarias was third in the 100 backstroke (54.62) while Brown was clocked at 57.63 and Hunter Smith at 1:02.32.
- Masmoudi won the 500 free in thrilling fashion, surpassing NSU's Vincent Lijoi on the final lap to win with a time of 4:42.76
- Varon earned the final top-two finish for the Blue and White by turning in a 1:00.55 in the 100 breaststroke. Alvarez was timed at 1:01.62 and Perez at 1:10.01.
- Lynn logged two teams in the 200 free relay with Labarias, Alvarez, Dunne and Brown taking third (1:32.28) and Romeo, Jacobs, Tezcan and Smith placing fifth (1:39.90).
BEYOND THE HEAT SHEET:
- Masmoudi is the first male swimmer in school history to win an event. He previously held the highest finish by taking third in the 1000 free at the Sharks Invite.
- Olejnik is the first to log multiple runner-up finishes in a meet.
- This is the first time Lynn has four swimmers finish in the top-two.
Lynn is back in the pool when it hosts Rollins on Saturday, Nov. 2, with a noon start time. For more information check out LynnFightingKnights.com.