West Palm Beach, Florida - Lynn University's softball team had an uneven day at the Sailfish Showdown, falling 4-1 to Armstrong State and then 9-8 to Washburn.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Game 1 – Armstrong 4, Lynn 1; Game 2 – Washburn 9, Lynn 8
Records: Lynn (5-7), Armstrong (8-4), Washburn (2-3)
Location: Tropicana Field & Simpson Field | West Palm Beach, Fla.
Series: Lynn trails 0-6 to Armstrong (last meeting 2013); First meeting with Washburn
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Game 1
- Armstrong State scored in the top of the first from a double off the right field fence by Reppert. Francais Olexa pitched out of trouble to get the final two outs with a runner in scoring position.
- Both teams remained hitless until ASU singled with two outs in the fourth. The Pirates then scored on a single to make it 2-0.
- Consecutive doubles to start the fifth scored the third run for Armstrong while a RBI groundout from Parrish put the Pirates ahead 4-0.
- Victoria Rios snapped the Armstrong no-hit bid in the fifth with a lead-off double and Hannah Tauscher put Lynn on the scoreboard with a bases loaded bloop single over the shortstop. The Fighting Knights could not generate any further runs to close out play 4-1.
- Game 2
- Lynn took its first lead of the day in the opening inning when Sara Vazquez cross home plate after a double play groundout.
- Washburn matched the Fighting Knights in the bottom half of the inning on a sacrifice fly from Cassidy Merriman.
- Leanne Wright drove in the first of her three runs in the third, singling up the middle to score Hannah Tauscher.
- Washburn, though, came back and led off the fourth with a home run before a sacrifice bunt error led to an unearned run and gave the Ichabods a 3-2 advantage.
- The Fighting Knights offense exploded in the fifth, scoring six runs on six hits while capitalizing on three WU errors.
- Manya Lopez opened the frame with a triple off the left center fence but looked destined to be stranded on third until a two-out base hit from Kaitlin Conrad.
- Wright followed with her second home run in two days, a two-run shot to left center field.
- The Fighting Knights also received RBI hits from Olexa and Maddy White to pull ahead 8-3.
- Washburn had a big inning in the sixth, scoring four runs on six hits and then completed the comeback with two runs in the bottom of the seventh.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Olexa tossed her fifth straight complete, allowing four runs on nine hits. Her counterpart in the circle only lasted five innings.
- Leanne Wright went 2-for-4 with three RBI.
- Manya Lopez was 1-for-1 with two walks.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Taylor Steczo made her season debut, reaching base on a hit by pitch and later scoring Lynn's only run of the game against Armstrong.
- Katelyn Key failed to record a complete game for the second time this season.
- Lynn has belted six home runs in its last four games.
- The top of the Fighting Knights lineup set the table against Washburn, combining to go 6-for-11 with three runs and four RBI.
The Fighting Knights begin Sunshine State Conference action when they host Florida Southern for a three-game series beginning on Friday, Feb. 19, at 3 p.m. at the Lynn Softball Field. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.