Columbus, Ga. - Lynn University's softball team scored early but saw its bats go silent in a 4-1 extra inning loss to Lee before smacking two home runs en route to a 6-4 victory over West Alabama in its second game of the GSC-PBC Crossover. Katelyn Key and Francais Olexa logged solid starts for the Fighting Knights while Leanne Wright drove in a pair of runs.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Game 1 – Lee 4, Lynn 1 (8 innings); Game 2 – Lynn 6, West Alabama 4
Records: Lynn (1-1), West Alabama (0-1), Lee (1-1)
Location: South Commons Complex | Columbus, Ga.
All-Time Series: First meeting vs. Lee and West Alabama
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS FROM THE GAME:
- Game 1
- Madison White drove in Lynn's lone run with a RBI single.
- Victoria Rios reached base in all four of her plate appearances, going 2-for-2 with a pair of walks.
- Francais Olexa tossed seven innings, allowing six hits and one unearned run while fanning three batters.
- Kayla Sheffield took the loss after allowing three runs in the final inning.
- Game 2
- Leanne Wright drove in a pair of runs, first with a solo home run and another with a RBI double. She ended the game 2-for-3.
- Rios went back-to-back with Wright and closed out the game 1-for-2 with a walk.
- The bottom of the order, Shayle Arenson and Sara Vazquez, combined to go 5-for-6 with three runs scored and a RBI.
- Katelyn Key collected the victory in the circle with 4.1 innings pitched with three runs, two earned on seven hits with one strikeout.
- Mackenzie Wyatt tossed a scoreless inning of relief but Olexa came in to stop a Tigers rally with a bases loaded one-out jam. She allowed one unearned run in 1.2 innings to pick up the save.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn saw five freshmen make their debut: Karolina Flores, Shayle Arenson, Kayla Sheffield, Mackenzie Wyatt and Caitlin Rolston.
- Both Wright and Rios smacked six home runs apiece last season.
- Key led the team in wins last season with eight.
- Olexa earned her third career save.
Lynn closes out the GSC/PBC Crossover on Sunday, Feb. 5, when it takes on Shorter at 9 am and Union (TN) at 11:30. Both games can be followed live at LynnFightingKnights.com.