Titusville, Fla. – Lynn University's softball team found multiple ways to win in a wild Tuesday doubleheader against Oakland City and Bloomfield. An early lead was all Kayla Sheffield needed against the Mighty Oaks as the freshman pitcher tossed her first career no-hitter and the Fighting Knights bats awoke late in the night cap, overcoming a three-run deficit to knock-off the Bears 6-3.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Game 1 – Lynn 5, Oakland City 0; Game 2 – Lynn 6, Bloomfield 3
Records: Lynn (11-8), Oakland City (3-4), Bloomfield (4-2)
Location: Chain Lakes Park | Titusville, Fla.
All-Time Series: First meeting against both opponents
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Game 1
- Sheffield continued her dominance as a starter, firing seven no-hit innings against the Mighty Oaks. She finished with two strikeouts. Her perfect game was spoiled by a walk with two-outs in the last inning.
- While Sheffield threw lights-out, fellow freshman Karolina Flores brought the thunder at the plate, driving in four of the team's five runs with a home run and a double. She ended the game 2-for-3 with two runs also.
- Mackenzie Wyatt drove in the final run of the game as she went 1-for-3 at the plate.
- Francais Olexa, Erin Sundook and Sara Vazquez all scored runs.
- Game 2
- Lynn's pitching ran into some bumps in the second contest with Olexa allowing three runs through the first three innings before settling down. She picked up the win (4-5) with one strikeout and seven hits allowed.
- Rachel Lightner was lights-out in relief, throwing two scoreless innings of relief with three strikeouts.
- Trailing 3-0, Lynn took its first lead of the game in the sixth, scoring all five of its runs with two-outs.
- Olexa helped her own cause, going 2-for-4 with four RBI. Her bases clearing double tied the game.
- Erin Sundook and Flores also drove in runs.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Sheffield's no-no was the first no-hitter by a Fighting Knight since Kara Henderson held Molloy hitless Apr. 17, 2008.
- Sheffield improved her record to 3-1 with a 0.78 earned-run average over 23 innings pitched as a starter.
- Sara Vazquez swiped her fourth base of the year, giving her 28 for her career, five back of tying the program record.
- Flores leads Lynn with 14 RBI with Olexa second with 12 RBI.
- Lightner picked up the first save of her career.
Lynn is back in action on Wednesday, Mar. 8, when it takes on Oakland City at 10:30 am and Bloomfield at 1 p.m. again in Titusville, Fla. Fans can keep up with the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.