Saint Leo, Fla. – Lynn University's swimming team opened its 2017-18 season with a 156-106 dual match loss to Saint Leo on Saturday despite claiming five individual event victories. Catalina Berraud-Galea notched a pair of victories in distance events and freshman Samar Khacha earned her first career event victory in the 200 butterfly.
INSIDE THE MEET:
Score: Saint Leo 156, Lynn 106
Location: Marion Bowman Aquatics Center | Saint Leo, Fla.
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn's 200 medley relay squad of Laia Coma, Fatima Westbrook, Sarah Hughes and Sarah Nichols claimed second place with a time of 1:50.62 while Tatiana St. Juste, Isabella Giacomini, Khacha and Alyson Currao placed fifth with a time of 1:59.71.
- Berraud-Galea picked up where she left off from her open-water distance swim, placing first in the 1000 freestyle (10:47.47) by more than 20 seconds. Katie Tiell (11:46.49) and Aliah Maginley (12:00.22) took fourth and fifth.
- Megan Carlson earned the top spot in the 200 free, posting a time of 1:58.70 with Berraud-Galea (2:03.79) and Kasey Swartley (2:04.21) also placing in the top-five.
- Coma was the Blue and White's top finish in the 100 backstroke with a time of 1:01.30, good for second place, while St. Juste and Elizabeth Harris logged time os 1:06.53 and 1:10.19.
- Hughes earned two breaststroke runner-up finishes, the first coming in the 100 with a time of 1:08.28. Giacomini (1:17.00) and Samantha Persaud (1:21.66) made their debuts in the event.
- Khacha won her first career event, the 200 fly, with a time of 2:15.63, nearly two seconds faster than her competitor. Carlson took fifth with a time of 2:20.31.
- Lynn had three swimmers in the 50 free as Westbrook (25.03) placed second and Nichols (25.74) and Currao (26.09) earning fourth and fifth place.
- Westbrook had little time to rest as she then finished second in the 100 free with a time of 54.30. Nichols (55.67) took fourth and St. Juste (59.38) sixth.
- Coma finished runner-up in the 200 back (2:26.29) followed by Harris (2:29.0)
- Hughes' second runner-up finish (2:26.29) came in the 200 breast while Giacomini (2:45.62) and Maginley (2:51.97) also competed.
- Berraud-Galea (5:18.71) claimed her second distance victory in the 500 free. Swartley (5:30.81) was third and Katie Tiell (5:41.76) was fifth.
- Nichols (1:00.08) was the top finisher for Lynn in the 100 fly followed by Carlson (1:02.38) and Khacha (1:02.75).
- Hughes claimed top honors in the 200 individual medley (2:11.92) with Khacha (2:16.17) finishing third and Coma (2:17.83) fourth.
- Lynn's 400 free relay teams came in third (3:49.13) and fifth (4:01.44).
Lynn returns to the pool when it hosts a tri-meet against Rollins and Keiser on Saturday, Oct. 28, beginning at 11 am.